[extropy-chat] "ExtropianTrash"-philosophy for a post-modernworldVS JW's]

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 16:55:42 UTC 2004

--- KPJ <kpj at sics.se> wrote:

> It appears as if Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> |
> |There are plenty of people who are completely rational in their
> daily
> |lives, yet are religious about that which is unexplained and
> |unexplainable. That you never were able to make the leap to that
> level
> |of mature spirituality is not the problem of those who were able to
> do
> |so.
>
> What kind of "religious" did you have in mind?

Well, there are plenty of people who are entirely scientific in their
daily lives, who look at documents like the Bible, etc as historical
and often metaphorical documents and histories of man's spiritual
development, but not literally true in every fact or assertion.

Such people can also wrap their minds around the idea that there are
things beyond the ability of physics to explain, or beyond our ability
to observe, test, and experiment with. Even much of physics theories
are just that, theory, and cannot and likely will not be tested for
quite a while because they would essentially require some rather high
risk macro-scale engineering.

Because of this, those who believe in M theory are no LESS religious
than many Jesuit priests. Those who believe that the Simulation
Argument is likely true are evincing belief in what is merely a modern
articulation of a creator myth.

> In what way does the "spiritual" people differ from people who
> believe in e.g. small green men from Mars or Santa Claus?  Both
> apparently believe in something without having any hard data
> supporting their reality models.

As do astrophysics theoriests. I seem to recall a talk by Stephen
Hawking a few years ago where he said that virtually anything can come
out of a black hole, and  made reference to some mythical creatures and
characters....

> Personally, I find such people rather hard to communicate with as you
> always have to make sure you don't start a jihad reaction in them.

Once again, you are improperly and without evidence (how very
unscientific of you) assigning the stereotype of fanatic upon all
people of religious faith, which is wrong.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)