A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Sep 13 20:00:40 UTC 2004

"Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>

> In the legal world, a document sent via fax (not printed
> on thermal paper) is considered a 'true copy', not a 'true original'.

If there is one thing in the universe you can be absolutely certain of it is
that you will not find philosophical enlightenment from lawyers.

> everyone knows that you go to sleep, and you can be
> observed through the night, and wake up still you in the
> morning, the true original.

But not everything has been continuous during the night, not the very most
important thing in fact. We know from first hand experience that our
consciousness undergoes a radical change when we sleep, sometimes stopping
completely for hours at a time.

> I suggest you get yourself a copy of the Gary Senise movie "Impostor".

A COPY of the movie? No no no, that won't do at all, I want to see the one
true original movie!

If I haven't convinced you that I'm right it's because you just saw a copy
of my message, a pale imitation of the glorious one true original Email; it
would have had you eating out of my hand.

   John K Clark      jonkc at att.net