[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 05:25:35 UTC 2004

> From: Zero Powers [mailto:zero.powers at gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien
>

> Zero, this article is revving my skeptic-engine... spike
>

> Spike, looks like your skeptic engine is humming along just fine.  No
> need for any tune-ups there...
>
> BBC News Online is reporting that a radio signal from deep space is
> not from aliens, according to astronomers...

A few weeks ago I got a chance to meet and speak with
Dr. Jill Tarter of the SETI Institute.  When or if she
announces a radio signal that appears to be from ET
technology, that news story will have my full and
undivided.  Just like Jody Foster did the whole time
I was viewing Contact.  {8-]

I need to look into these other guys, the SETI at homers.
They probably have made important contributions, but
I need to study their data input, see where and
how much they are getting, assure myself that they
are making optimal use of all those idle computer
cycles they are having donated.  I might pull one
of my machines off of GIMPS and turn SETI at home back on.

Anyone here up to speed on SETI at home?  Are they
careful to never give out the same segment multiple
times?