[extropy-chat] SING: recording our lives

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 06:23:23 UTC 2004

It will happen sooner or later.  When it does the "Transparent
Society" http://www.davidbrin.com/tschp1.html will finally arrive.
And I for one can't wait.

What will happen to the U.S. legal system you ask?  Probably not much.
 Of course if individuals don't have sufficient control over their
recorders to be able to turn them off while they engage in nefarious
activity, you will naturally see a sharp decrease in objectively
observable crimes (rape, robbery, murder, etc.).  But I wouldn't
expect much impact on civil litigation.  People will always find
reason to sue each other, and lawyers will be there to help them.

There will likely remain for quite some time litigatable issues of
subjective intent, and interpretation of meanings of conversations.
For instance in most contract lawsuits there is no dispute as to the
language of the contract, because most litigated contracts are in
writing.  The litigated issues have to do with the interpretation of
contract language and its application to a given set of facts.
Everyone having there own copy of the a recording showing the details
of a given transaction will most likely not prevent disagreement
regarding the transaction and litigation to resolve those
disagreements.

Zero