[extropy-chat] Mature rationality

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Sep 15 13:47:43 UTC 2004

Nicholas Anthony MacDonald wrote:
>  Jef Allbright wrote:
> > A rational approach to life includes both "rational" in the
> > mathematical sense, and "rational" in the pragmatic sense. We
> > INTJs have a hard time accepting this -- it's messy, but it works.
>

>  Precisely because it's the domain of us INTP's- we're the ones who
>  typically end up trying to figure out how to integrate man's
>  irrationality- and you end up cleaning up after us. :)

Integration is a key point.  I've learned and grown a lot by living with
someone very different from myself and dealing with life experiences,
none of which I would have chosen on a rational basis at the time.

A problem with trying to apply strict rationality is that we tend to
paint ourselves into the corner, rationally attempting to maximize
outcomes based on woefully incomplete knowledge.   Strict rationality
under incomplete knowledge (and it's always incomplete knowledge) can
lead to terrible decisions up to war and genocide.  What's typically
missing in "rational" analysis is awareness of the Bayesian prior that
what got us to where we are now (our evolved nature) is what worked and
therefore carries weight as part of a successful strategy.

Another problem is the economic one.  This is why going with the flow,
or being in the zone, is often rational in the pragmatic sense.   In
sports or battle, or when dealing with complex real-time situations
(read: interpersonal relations), there isn't time to effectively analyze
the available data in a rational way.  To succeed in these situations
one has to rely on one's "toolbox" of responses, pattern-matching to
meet the situation rather than analyzing.

How you look at is is all a matter of context and scope, and in the
bigger picture, it's all completely rational and what works survives and
grows.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net