[extropy-chat] Neuro links

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 15 13:47:14 UTC 2004

Hi Alex,

Do you know how much space is between axons, dendrites, synapses on neurons in the most densely packed part of the brain? ie how tight do neurons pack at
their tightest and most dense?

Reason I ask is that I think that is an important design scale limit on any servicing/repairing nanobots that might want to get between them.

In actual fact I suspect that to try and get a nanobot into the extracellular spaces between neurons may be impossible, because the space may be
as little as 10s of nanometres in places (and the space map would be different for every brain - more different than variations in vasculature) and
no nanobot with a payload worth a damn could get much smaller than a half a micron I'd guessimate.

Cheers,
Brett