[extropy-chat] Etna Talks in her Sleep

Amara Graps amara.graps at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:01:44 UTC 2004

Last September 7, a new fissure opened on the southeastern side of
Etna Volcano in Sicily. I went to see with my own eyes because
seeing Etna erupt has been a small dream of mine for some years.

No fountains,  but a wide lava flow is in progress, and last Monday
night (September 13-14), I saw a sputtering vent, called a 'hornito'
let loose for a few hours, shooting clumps of lava in all
directions. Seeing photos is one thing, but seeing  (and hearing!)
these processes from a few to 100 meters away is entirely different.

The raw power of the Earth opening its mouth left me a little bit
breathless. The scientist in me was telling my other side how I am
witnessing the energy left from the formation of the Earth and the
subsequent meteoritic impacts, but the nonscientific part of me
didn't care. Seeing this at night on the top of the mountain with
the city of Catania (~600,000) below and the Milky Way above, will
be one of the most beautiful experiences in my life.

Because I was with experienced Etna guides, I could be there, but
where were the other volcanologists and guides? We were alone. My
two friends and I were the only ones (besides the web cam) seeing
this beautiful sight while 600,000 people below us slept. I hope
they were dreaming in technicolored lava.

I'll point you to some photos (my friends are excellent volcano
photographers) when they are ready.

Amara

Live Webcam on the lava flow (terrible video!) set up by the
Italian Forestry service:
http://etna2004.videobank.it/

Volcano Etna Rumbles Back into Life
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=39080