[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 22:05:11 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Of course, the right answer is to get the government out of the
> "marriage" business. Treat it all with a standard contract between
> two (or more) consenting adults. Leave the the 'marriage' part to the
> churches.  Its not even a state's right issue: the separation of
> church and state is one of those things that is absolutely inviolable
> (c.f. Roy Moore).  The government has no authority to provide legal
> status to a religious institution, period.

This is exactly correct. The problem is that the big brass rings that
the gay couples complain about are primarily in the area of govenment
entitlements. If they were not so insistent on getting those bennies,
I'd believe the argument a bit better. If the gay community supported
your position, they'd publicly say they don't care about inheritable
social security benefits.

There is a difference between legal marriage and lawful marriage. What
the gay community wants is legal marriage. They can already lawfully marry.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)