[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 11:03:36 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Wow, Mike. Did you really think that a sufficiently graphic
> description would disguise the fact that the patient in question was
> your mother and not your partner?  The former is not a problem, the
> latter would have been. And your health care PoA could not -compel-
> the doctor to let you in with your partner if your doctor felt that
> his or her diagnosis was enough to 'fully inform' you. Your only
> recourse would be to get a 2nd opinion from another doctor.
>
> And though I'm not sure about this, I think that part of the problem
> are the new HIPPA regulations.

My sister, an executive with the Eastern Connecticut Health Care
Network (a chain of about 6 hospitals) is an expert on HIPPA and HCPA.
There were a number of times during the intenstive care period of mum's
hospitalization where my sister, who had the PoA, was the only member
of the family ALLOWED to see her. The rest of us were stuck in the
waiting room.

Now, this sort of policy issue MAY be more related to the sort of
hospitals we are talking about. Mum was at Dartmouth/Hitchcock Medical
Center, which is affiliated with Dartmouth Medical School and Dartmouth
College. I would not be surprised if Catholic affiliated hospitals, and
other religiously affiliated hospitals, for instance, had a bit more
stringent view of things, and might be reading the regs differently.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)