[extropy-chat] identity and copies, yet again

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 15:57:14 UTC 2004

--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>
>
> > Obviously a nearly-exact copy would *feel*, from inside,
> > just like you do now. The copy would also serve everyone
> > else's needs as well as the original did. None of that has
> > the slightest bearing on whether the original should be
> > complicit, indeed happy, in its own termination.
>
> If I understand your position correctly you concede that 2 months ago
> somebody could have made a near exact copy of you and destroyed the
> original
> and neither you, the present day Damien Broderick, nor any of your
> friends
> would notice the slightest difference.

You misunderstand, I think, what Damien is saying quite clearly: if you
destroy the original, the original most certainly would feel quite
differently, as in not any more, and notice the difference, at least
for a split second while you are killing him. THe originals absence
from the mortal coil would be distinctly different for him than when he
was present and had something to say about your opinion.

Furthermore, the original would say he doesn't want to die, if he has
Damiens opinion, while the copy might say: I am the copy, therefore I
do not deserve to live... and therefore kill himself. THis would make
the copy quite distinctly different from the original.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)