[extropy-chat] The Story of a Brain

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 19:39:52 UTC 2004

--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:

> So, what do you think?  Were they producing mental states by
> stimulating
> those neurons?  And if so, are they still produced when they just
> stand
> their and let their brains do the work of firing neurons?

The fatal flaw here is the assumption that the neuron fires randomly.
Each neuron fires due to chemical potentials built up from inputs from
other neurons. Input AND output. Whoever is stimulating the input
pathways for eyes ears, mouth, nose and skin is the really important
player. If what they do is random, then all the brain is seeing is
static noise.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development