A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun Sep 19 02:22:35 UTC 2004

Slawomir Paliwoda wrote:

> My definition of identity is quite precise, I think, because it defines it
> as a uniqueness of a mind process in space-time which means that it focuses
> exclusively on the set of processes that are mind processes (as opposed to,
> say, computer memory retrieval processes). It already assumes to have all
> the knowledge needed to differentiate between mind and non-mind processes. I
> imagine this knowledge to include all the causal links of the flow of matter
> that leads to the emergence of a mind.

It's a big assumption, y'know.  I who must actually describe this sort of
"precise" definition to an AI, have not been given nearly enough
information to do so.

But leave that aside.  You still have not answered my question about
branching causal links that create branching mind-processes, and that was
the point.