[extropy-chat] Re: A view on cryonics, worlds, identities

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 19 07:07:58 UTC 2004

scerir wrote:

> Brett Paatsch:
>
> > I don't regard many-worlds theory as
> > something that needs to be accomodated
> > or is worth accomodating.
>
> This is perhaps something worthy of further, obstinate
> investigation :-)

I respect your polite form of obstinacy and would like
to accomodate it, if I could but I am pretty ignorant of
quantum physics generally not just the many-worlds
model that so rankles with me.

Its not that I regard quantum physics as unworthy of
investigation, its just that I don't see it as necessary for
an understanding of biology and being mortal I have to
choose where I'll spend my time. My interest in science
is strongly biased towards the biological because I see
that that area will have more practical ramifications for
me in my lifetime.

If you think that it is a failure to understand quantum
physics that is causing me to draw different conclusions
on cryonics than you, or different ones than I am doing
now, then I would take that as a strong reason for me
to try to deepen my understanding of  quantum physics.

Do you think that?

Regards,
Brett Paatsch