[extropy-chat] The Story of a Brain

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Sun Sep 19 17:42:13 UTC 2004

Hal Finney wrote:

>So, what do you think?  Were they producing mental states by stimulating
>those neurons?  And if so, are they still produced when they just stand
>their and let their brains do the work of firing neurons?

### The work of producing the admired man's mental states is done by the
impulse cartridges! As stated above, the cartridge provides the "same
signals that would have been produced by the opposite hemisphere, but it
computes them inside itself.". I would venture that computations which
faithfully replicate the neural firing patterns of living brains must,
unavoidably, produce qualia equivalent to the qualia experienced in the
brain itself. Therefore, in the case above, there are many trillions of
copies of the brain all over the world, in the form of impulse
cartridges, and the extant admired  neurons are but an infinitesimally
small admixture to the pool of admired computation, at least as long as
their outputs are fed back into the programming of the impulse
cartridges (or modeled there to begin with). The firing of neurons in
the brains of the admirers, however, doesn't produce admired mental
states - after all, their neurons are not connected to the impulse
cartridges, they are a part of networks which do the job of admiring,
not being admired.

All this assuming it is indeed possible in principle to build the
"impulse cartridges" faithfully replicating what would have been if the
Admired One was alive.

Rafal