[extropy-chat] more on Afshar Experiment, as of 7 weeks ago

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 19 22:41:45 UTC 2004

At 11:31 PM 9/19/2004 +0100, BillK wrote:

>One opposing view from W Unruh dated Aug 7 2004, is here:
><http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/rebel.html>

Yeah, but Afshar's (perhaps glib) comment on that is already here:

http://users.rowan.edu/~afshar/FAQ.htm

Unruh has suggested a “<http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/rebel.html>simpler
version” of my experiment, in which Complementarity survives. His reasoning
is fallacious. As an analogy, one can argue that a “simpler” airplane can
be constructed by removing the wings, however, naturally this “simpler”
version would be incapable of flight. Similarly Unruh’s thought experiment
is certainly simpler than my experimental setup, but one cannot blame it
for not performing the same feat: it is an inherently different experiment!

In short, the source of Unruh’s error is the commonly-sited assumption of
an exact one-to-one correlation between Mach-Zehnder and double-slit
interferometers
 I suggest that he addresses the actual experiment I have
performed and calculate the expected results on whether the “which-way”
information (“which-slit” information for a double-slit welcher-Weg
experiment) is destroyed by the presence of the wires, rather than discuss
his version.

I’m pressed for deadlines right now, but in a few days I will provide a
much more detailed response.