[extropy-chat] Françoise Sagan

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Sep 24 19:33:56 UTC 2004

Françoise Sagan, 'la dernière des existentialistes',
died today.
http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-3382,36-380457,0.html
http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-3230,36-372250,0.html

'Although I did not share my father's intense aversion to ugliness - which
often led us to associate with stupid people - I did feel vaguely
uncomfortable in the presence of anyone completely devoid of physical charm.
Their resignation to the fact that they were unattractive seemed to me
somehow indecent. For what are we looking for if not to please? I do not
know if the desire to attract others comes from a superabundance of
vitality, possessiveness, or the hidden, unspoken need to be reassured.'
- Françoise Sagan (Françoise Quoirez) 'Bonjour Tristesse', (1954)