[extropy-chat] Wired article on Drexler

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 28 04:55:58 UTC 2004

A passage that looked like it was from Amara, but sounded more like
Natasha:

I'm not a fan of Ed Regis, and I have been disturbed by his articles and
books.  His book on transhumans was quite weak.  It was a book about
cryonics and nanotechnology and culture, not transhumans, per se.  I
wish he had not used the word "transhuman" so loosely, in deference to
FM-2030 who was teaching about transhumanity at the time Ed wrote this
book and who Ed didn't mention, but freely borrowed the ideas...

Ed Regis was at the first west coast nanocon in about 1990 I think
it was.  The Mambo Chicken had just hit the presses.  That one was
kinda fun, not terribly insightful.  James Gleick tried a futurist tone
with Faster, another book that way missed the mark, which surprised me,
since his other work was very good.

Methinks the best mainstream press about transhumanism is still
the stellar work The Spike, by our own Dr. Broderick.