[extropy-chat] The Long Now: Bets and Predictions Over Time

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 14:23:23 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> There will be no draft regardless of who wins in November.
> The powers saw what happened last time we had one.  The
> army has been investing in force multipliers ever since.
> Draftees would likely end up being more liability
> than asset.

Spike is exactly right. We do as much damage to the enemy from the air
with 1/20th the number of planes and many times less collateral damage
than we had in Vietnam. Soldiers get much better trained in shooting
man-shaped targets, in aggressive infantry tactics, etc. and finally,
you don't have a Soviet Union supplying endless arms to client states
for free. Russia at least makes them pay cash on the barrel head, and
is today less inclined to arm people who will wind up contributing to
insurgency and terrorism within Russia. China, North Korea, and Vietnam
are all questionable, though they are all in need of cash more than
ideology, and we always have the option of sinking their ships.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)