[extropy-chat] antiaging paper

scerir scerir at libero.it
Tue Sep 28 15:01:00 UTC 2004

From: "Joao Magalhaes"

> Now, you do mention that the lifetime of rats was
> extended by 50% but that is not in the papers you cite.
> Where did you read the results from rats? There have
> been studies with SOD2 in mice and rats but, as far as
> I know, these have NOT extended normal lifespan.

On the "Il Sole - 24 Ore", Italian daily paper,
perhaps the best one, on the science page, there
is an article about that (yeats, mammals, aging) and
the writer reports (in brackets) something Valter Longo
told him (at telephone I suppose). Longo
says that in *his* laboratory yeats live 5 times
the usual lifespan, and in *other* laboratories
rats live about 50% more than the usual lifetime.
In both cases - says Longo - there is a similar
manipulation of a similar (between yeats, rats,
and, in general, other mammals and humans too)
genetic sequence. [I do not understand this stuff,
but these words, by Valter Longo, are in brackets]
Saluti,
s.