[extropy-chat] Redistribution of wealth

Nicholas Anthony MacDonald namacdon at ole.augie.edu
Tue Sep 28 15:21:33 UTC 2004

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html

Funny, I thought South Dakota would have been higher than 9th, Sen. Daschle is famous for bringing home more tax dollars than this state pays out... in fact, that might be the only thing that gets him re-elected this fall.

But yes, in general, the "blue states" are the ones with the most advanced production and information economies (and high-wage jobs), while the "red states" are still primarily driven by agriculture and natural resources (and lower-wage jobs).  So, naturally, the government ends up sending more wealth in the direction of the red states, to keep our resource economy from drying up.  I see it all the time here in SD- farm subsidies, ethanol subsidies, water projects, infrastructure, etc- all to keep our low-yield, marginal agricultural economy running.  Though I'd be egged for saying it in front of about anyone in this state, I say let the dirt farmers fold up- the future of this state is bison, indians, and windmills- and a few tech companies and credit processing operations in Sioux Falls.

-Nicq