[extropy-chat] Appropriate List Content - was Malachy's Prophecies; Pope John Paul II, then two before the destruction of the Holy Roman Church

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 4 23:56:54 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What exactly is the focus of this list? I thought this
> list was a brainstorming/think tank type mailing list
> with a very broad range of topics.

Broad, but not indefinite.

> i.e. I saw it as
> the post-modern equivalent of the European salons of
> the 18th century where the some of the best and the
> brightest scientists, literati, and artists gathered
> to discuss the new paradigms brought about by the
> enlightenment. A place where Jules Verne and Voltaire
> might have a friendly discussion on the effects of
> Darwin's theory of natural selection would have on
> international politics while being served tea by Ninon
> Lenclos.

That's arguably correct.  But note that even they would not spend hours
and hours discussing prophecies about the latest Pope, though they
might discuss the Pope's views on the Enlightenment.

Likewise here.  We're here to discuss the future, and specifically a
particular type of future we'd like to bring about.  The past may
inform the future, but there are broad swaths of the past that it is
useless, for this list's purposes, to discuss.