[extropy-chat] Appropriate List Content - was Malachy's Prophecies; Pope John Paul II, then two before the destruction of the Holy Roman Church

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 6 09:47:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:27:12AM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> No.  You don't have the privilege of saying when it is "enough
> discussion".  You strike me as a bit too autocratic and abrupt for me

You're taking the privilege of talking for others, though. Unless there has
been off-list discussion, that's pretty double standard of you.

> to be comfortable with you exercising such power as you describe.

I don't want such power. I asked for volunteers. There were none.

I have a life, and I spend already too much time on the net as is. If you
think I'm looking for a position of power on a *mailing list*, you're smoking
some truly excellent crack.

> There is a system of moderation on this list as you know.   We try to

There is no moderation (all posts held until explicit approval). There is a
system of warnings, in theory. In practice, the list cops are not there.

> guide gently where we intercede,  usually behind the scenes, if we
> intercede  at all.   You are calling for more intercession.   We all
> are listening but are not convinced.

No further arguments from me will be forthcoming. Indecision is also a
decision.