[extropy-chat] Singularity Blues

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 13:36:19 UTC 2005

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:42:19AM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>
> > >The Singularity is incompatible with sustained presence of human
> > >primates,
> > >though.
> > >
> > In what way?
>
> In the physical way. Biological life will need active protection by
> the most powerful participants for it to be effective, while the
> power distribution will be spread dramatically. It's thus a one-way
> interaction -- no payoff for one party.
>
> What would be the motivation for that? People are irrational that
> way, but it's not working, but for a few lucky ones.

Absolutely bogus. It is the most powerful actors who are the worst
environmental offenders. Governments pollute the most and nobody
enforces environmental laws against them when they don't want them to
be. The environment is in better hands with widespread power
distribution and more private land ownership and stewardship.

Nor is the environment getting worse, despite what the media tells you.
I remember when the rivers were orange and full of foam, trash, and
dead fish, when the skies were full of smoke plumes and you could smell
a factory town from miles away, when the beaches were full of garbage,
tar balls, and other detritus.

The world of the singularity is going to be a verdant paradise. Just
the sort of thing that cynics wouldn't expect, so isn't that exactly
what we should expect from a singularity?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com