[extropy-chat] Singularity Blues

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 6 19:01:43 UTC 2005

--- Gary Miller <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:
> Open sourcing a technology that powerful would be roughly equivalent
> passing out free
> enriched plutonium at the UN.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing, if you want to encourage the
development of defenses against nuclear weapons.  Or, to de-metaphor,
against single AIs taking over the world.

Perhaps it's a bit extreme, but then, the sheer number of short-sighted
goals, pork, and other things stopping the funding of said defenses is
quite a serious impediment.  And the threat, whether one thinks it
likely or unlikely, has severe enough consequences to at least merit
concern.

> Send invitation to the movers behind the technology to join this
> mailing
> list in a professional
> manner that encourages them to become involved.

See the "appropriate list content" thread.  Frankly, I'd be dubious
about sending out said invites until the noise level here gets a *lot*
lower, else said movers are likely to dismiss this issue and those who
think of it as kook stuff - making them unable to help us until it is
too late for their help.