[extropy-chat] Yuri's Night: April 12

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Apr 7 15:18:02 UTC 2005

http://www.yurisnight.net

---------------------------------

About Yuri's Night
Celebrating Yuri Gagarin and the Space Shuttle

(from: http://www.yurisnight.net/about/index?lang=en)

"On 12 April 1961, Yuri Gagarin was the first human to see the Earth
from space - to realize its awesome and fragile beauty. Yuri did not
see lines demarcating countries or the conflicts between people. He
did not see our problems or our achievements. What he saw was a
magnificent planet, a tiny oasis in space, the home that we all
share.

20 years later to the day, the US launched its first Space Shuttle,
Columbia and opened the door to space even wider. Many cosmonauts
and astronauts have returned from space with a new awareness of how
small the Earth really is, how important it is to protect it, and
how we must put aside our differences and work together. It is this
spirit of space, the possibility of cooperation among nations to
explore, learn, and be inspired, that we commemorate with Yuri's
Night.

People of the world, join together and celebrate! April 12th marks
the anniversary of the dawn of a new era. And now it falls to our
generation to make the next mark on the pages of human history.

Peace, Love, Space,

Loretta Hidalgo, George Whitesides, and Trish Garner
Creators, Yuri's Night"

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/