[extropy-chat] RFID smartcard passports and driver's licenses

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 14:08:36 UTC 2005

--- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 12:31 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> >
> > The thing you are missing is that as RFID becomes ubiquitous, a
> hacker
> > doesn't need access to a database anymore to rip off your identity,
> it
> > is ALL sitting on your person in the form of chips ready to
> transmit
> > your personal information like Kitty Kelly playing a crack whore.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Are you getting that cold sinking feeling, yet?
> >

> It seems to me that what you are complaining about is the result of a
> rampaging free market system. If companies can make a profit, then
> they do it. The US government is tagging along years behind, trying
> to play catch-up with legislation to stop the wilder excesses.

It isn't about companies making a profit, it is about people becoming
educated to the problem, much as they had to become educated to the
problem of computer viruses by having their systems destroyed a few
times. One would think most people would have learned their lesson by
now. Apparently not, even on this list.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com