[extropy-chat] embedded in open hearts

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 16:22:50 UTC 2005

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
>
> > POPE JOHN PAUL II AND THE JEWISH PEOPLE
> > by Rabbi Marvin Hier
> >
> > In terms of reconciliation with the Jews, I believe that Pope John
> Paul
> > II was the greatest Pope in the history of the Vatican with respect
> > his relationship to the Jewish people.
> > - Rabbi Marvin Hier, CNN's Larry King Live Show, Tuesday, April 4,
> 2005
>
> Is that saying a lot?  And does this justify what the Jews are doing
> to the Palestinians?

It's saying a lot, but I don't think it has anything to do with what
the Jews are doing to the Palestinians, or what Israeli Arabs are doing
to the Palestinians (a large percent of the Israeli Army units that
patrol the border zone and occupied areas are actually Israeli Arabs).
Mostly, though, it appears the Israelis are not doing a heck of a lot
to the Palestinians now, with the wall almost entirely completed and
Arafat the Egyptian dead. If anything Sharon is likely waiting to see
if the new PA will keep up its history of never passing up
opportunities to pass up opportunities for peace.

You need to get a new schtick. The Iraq war is over, so you need to
find a new war to protest against. There isn't much going on in
Palestine. I suppose you could protest against democratization in
Lebanon, or Egypt, or Saudi Arabia... or cheer as Iran strings up
another 16 year old girl for having the temerity to denounce the
government.

> Besides, I thought Judaism and Christianity were still mutually
> exclusive religions? What has changed? Have Christians stopped
> believing that Jews and other infidels are destined to go to hell?
>  (Where-oh-where have I been lately?)

As stated in the article, the Church denounced the concept of
collective blame of the crucifixion on Jews per se (particularly in
light of research showing that crucifixion was reserved for treason
against Rome, not for religious crimes against Judaism, and other bits
that place the blame more properly on Roman authorities and not Jewish
ones.) This therefore makes anti-semitism a sin in the Catholic Church.

Whether Jews go to heaven or not is a separate issue for the church.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com