[extropy-chat] re: embedded in open hearts (Meta/EP)

Amara Graps Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it
Sun Apr 10 18:57:04 UTC 2005

Keith Henson:
>Indeed, especially when the whole emotional outpouring
>around the Pope's death is so intensely interesting on a
>meta level.

Yes, I thought it was intensely interesting and funny
sometimes too. That article from the Times reporter
tickled my funny bone because I saw the same thing. And
touching: The fresh-faced kids yelling out their soccer
chant (Giovaaaaaaaa-ni Paoooo-lo! clap-clap-clap!) was so
sweet. Overall, the symbolism was fantastic. I wish
Joseph Campbell was alive to have seen it.

>Why do humans react this way?

OK, survival. Is that why Hubert can't laugh about it?

Why do I have no trouble laughing about the events of last week?

A related topic is: how can extropians/transhumans
complain about the intolerance of the religious, if they
are equally or more intolerant in their own attitudes?
So for EP: I would think that there is a survival value
for tolerance (or at least humor :-) ).

Amara