[extropy-chat] RFID smartcard passports and driver's licenses

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 19:50:36 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> > Beyond this, the risk is that you have to trust any piece of
> equipment
> > that demands to scan you. This is vulnerable to man-in-the-middle
> > attacks similar to the fake-ATM scam, where you would see some
> kiosk
> > providing some product or service you wanted (stamps, ATM, subway
> > passes, concert/theater/airline/sports tickets, candy or other food
> > vending, etc) that would demand your retina scan and a scan of one
> of
> > your payment cards for something real.
>
> The only equipment scanning you is on your person and owned by you
> and is not broadcasting that information.  So such an attack is not
> germane.

How so? Is the government or credit agencies going to trust implicitly
any equipment I own and control that simply says "He is Mike"??? Not
bloodly likely. They want control of the equipment. So long as you
don't have control of the equipment, you have no trust that the
equipment you see is actually controlled by a trusted agency or not.
The challenger needs to establish his or her bonafides to the authority
to challenge before the challenged should be compelled to provide the passkey.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com