[extropy-chat] EMP Attack?

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sun Apr 17 15:52:17 UTC 2005

Olga Bourlin wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57774-2005Apr15.html?nav=mo
>

> washingtonpost.com
> Unready For This Attack
>
> By Jon Kyl
>
> Saturday, April 16, 2005; Page A19
>
> Recently a Senate Judiciary subcommittee of which I am chairman held a
> hearing on a major threat to the American people, one that could come
> not only from terrorist organizations such as al Qaeda but from rogue
> nations such as Iran and North Korea.
>
> An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack on the American homeland, said
> one of the distinguished scientists who testified at the hearing, is
> one of only a few ways that the United States could be defeated by its
> enemies - terrorist or otherwise. And it is probably the easiest. A
> single Scud  missile, carrying a single nuclear weapon, detonated at
> the appropriate  altitude, would interact with the Earth's atmosphere,
> producing an  electromagnetic pulse radiating down to the surface at
> the speed of light.  Depending on the location and size of the blast,
> the effect would be to knock out already stressed power grids and
> other electrical systems across much or even all of the continental
> United States, for months if not years.
>
> Few if any people would die right away. But the loss of power would
> have a cascading effect on all aspects of U.S. society. Communication
> would be largely impossible. Lack of refrigeration would leave food
> rotting in warehouses, exacerbated by a lack of transportation as
> those vehicles still
> working simply ran out of gas (which is pumped with electricity). The
> inability to sanitize and distribute water would quickly threaten public
> health, not to mention the safety of anyone in the path of the
> inevitable fires, which would rage unchecked. And as we have seen in
> areas of natural and other disasters, such circumstances often result
> in a fairly rapid breakdown of social order.
>
> American society has grown so dependent on computer and other
> electrical systems that we have created our own Achilles' heel of
> vulnerability, ironically much greater than those of other, less
> developed nations. When deprived of power, we are in many ways
> helpless, as the New York City blackout made clear. In that case,
> power was restored quickly because adjacent areas could provide help.
> But a large-scale burnout caused by a broad EMP attack would create a
> much more difficult situation. Not only would there be nobody nearby
> to help, it could take years to replace destroyed equipment.
>
> Transformers for regional substations, for example, are massive pieces
> of equipment that are no longer manufactured in the United States and
> typically take more than a year to build. In the words of another
> witness at the hearing, "The longer the basic outage, the more
> problematic and uncertain the recovery of any [infrastructure system]
> will be. It is possible --  indeed, seemingly likely -- for
> [...]
It would destroy just about every piece of semiconductor electronics
from car ignition systems to computers to domestic TVs, radios and
telephones.

The good news is that it takes more than a small terrorist nuke to cause
that much damage. You need a megaton yield fusion weapon.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org