Small government was Re: [extropy-chat] EMP Attack?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:55:50 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, wrote:
> Not clearly.  In the technologically advanced part of
> the world, the national-level governments do too much
> and cost too much.  Common defense and road building
> is all they really need at that level.  The rest of
> the stuff can be governed at a sublevel, such as the
> American states, where we proles have a choice to
> live there or in another competing state.  Competition
> forces state governments to optimize themselves.

Nice idea. Many practical difficulties (as usual with neat political theories).

Outside USA moving to a different system involves big costs. Usually
learning a new language, new customs, new social behaviours, new job,
new schools, new tv programs, new everything, really. I haven't
noticed countries changing much because their neighbour does things a
different way. Anti-smuggling laws, border patrols, fines, keep the
proles in order mostly.

Even in the USA, what you really want is to live near the junction of
about four states, where you can work in one state, go to school in
another state, go to hospital in yet another state,   invest in
another state, and holiday in Florida. )

BillK