[extropy-chat] More shameless self-promotion: my new book...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Apr 20 04:43:47 UTC 2005

... is now published. It's a non-fiction series of linked essays,
*Ferocious Minds: Polymathy and the new Enlightenment*, from Borgo/Wildside
press. Here's the preposterously complicated url:

http://www.wildsidepress.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WP1&Product_Code=0809544733&Category_Code=Broderick1

And here's their blurb:

========================

Two centuries ago, the first Enlightenment failed when its dream of reason
smashed into the passions and fury of stubborn humans. Without a deep,
broad understanding of the world, the emerging Enlightenment was left
floundering, its best impulses perverted into the bloody excess of the
French Revolution. Arguably, its idealism and noble goals led directly, and
shockingly, to the 20th century's totalitarian nightmares.

Now the 21st century is learning anew the Faustian hunger to know
everything that can be known. But Enlightenment values of reason and
tolerance, enriched by new knowledge, face a complex world no less eager to
embrace medieval terrorism and ancient superstitions, a world bizarrely
denying itself many of the fresh opportunities and insights availed by
science. Can we find cures for poverty, unhappiness, ignorance, the
ruination of the planet, aging, and perhaps for death itself? If so, should
we?

Certain names familiar to the extropes crop up, such as Anders Sandberg
(one of the dedicatees), Greg Burch, Dale Carrico...

I just received my author freebies today, and I have to say the trade
paperback looks pretty; very attractive jacket, photo courtesy of ace
photographer Andrew Hartman. As for the contents... You < coff > Be the Judge!

Damien Broderick