[extropy-chat] Spain has become the third country in Europe to legalise gay marriage

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Apr 22 12:13:12 UTC 2005

Thanks for updating us on this newly arrived world-wide
issue.  Congratulations to Spain!

Disclaimer:  The institute of marriage is not necessarily a futuristic
plan.  I wonder how transhumanists in the coming generations will develop
relationship contracts that are not so historically binding by "death do us
part"  sentiment.   And about that "sex" word ...

Gender restriction is another human biological/psychological
characteristic.  How will we view marriage when we are able to interchange
our gender?

I do think being in a committed loving relationship adds to the long,
healthy, happy lives; but it is a human institute.  In the future, when we
no longer reside only in one reality or one gender, it will be interesting
to see if marriage is entirely discarded, or if the rules of marriage are
revised to include multiple relationships for multiple environments.  Even
if a type of contractual institute such as marriage will be necessary for
long, healthy, happy lives. If not, what would replace it?  An evolved
psychology?  Perhaps a transhumanist psychology in which we provide a
transhuman-posthuman wide-spread environment of inclusively, support,
nurturing, friendship, and connectivity.

Best wishes,

Natasha

At 12:03 AM 4/22/2005, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
>This makes me really proud of the country where I live. Of course the new
>law had a lot of coverage on Spanish television. The legal definitions of
>"marriage" has been changed accordingly in such a way as to make no
>references to different sex.

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc
President, Extropy Institute http://www.extropy.org
Founder, Transhumanist Arts & Culture http://www.transhumanist.biz

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Toffler
If Aristotle were alive today he'd have a talk show. Leary