[extropy-chat] Spain has become the third country in Europe to legalise gay marriage

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sat Apr 23 02:17:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> I see PostHumanity moving in two major directions.
> They are total individualism and hive minds.
> And sex/gender has no major place in either IMO.

I'm not convinced that things like marriage will no longer
exist in a posthuman race.  I hope (and believe) that posthuman
"people" will have enough control over their destiny to decide
for themselves what they'll want to do - and I expect that many
people will be more comfortable in a marriage.

When we move between the stars, and communication is still
limited by the speed of light, we will have a huge diversity
between different societies.  While there may be hive minds
and totally individualistic societies, I expect that things
like marriage will live on.

After all, if the basic concept is there in birds (who split
off from mammals a LONG time ago), I would certainly expect
it to be there in posthuman people, who will be a lot closer
to us than birds.