[extropy-chat] Human - Posthuman gap (was: Spain has become the third country in Europe to legalise gay marriage)

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sun Apr 24 18:34:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, ben wrote:

> I'm not arguing with your basic premise, but i would argue with the
> above statement. I reckon it's almost certain that there will be a
> *much* bigger gap between (many) posthumans and humans than that between
> birds and humans. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if that
> wasn't so.

You're right.  At least, I hope you are ;)

My main hope for posthumanity is diversity - way more diversity
than what is possible within a single species, with cultural
diversity to match the biological diversity.

As for whether the part of posthumanity that looks just like us
will be a majority or minority, I suspect that will depend
entirely on which groups of posthumans will colonise the most
living space and experience the largest population expansion.