[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Apr 25 09:29:34 UTC 2005

On Apr 24, 2005, at 9:24 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> As we see Jeb Bush and Ahnuld the Gubernator both banning oil
> exploration off their coasts, it is the state that creating the Peak
> Oil experience. One reason for this is that high oil prices from short
> supplies increases oil tax revinues for governments that are
> increasingly short of revinues from other areas due either to tax cuts
> or poor economic performance (despite that poor performance being
> caused by overregulation, high oil costs, or excessive taxes).

There isn't enough oil in either of these locations to get the oil
companies all that interested in pushing to get it.   Assuming the
price is being jerked up to get more in taxes when higher energy prices
lead to economic slowdown and inflation and thus less tax revenue makes
little sense.

Huber's argument amounts to belief that somehow there will be more oil
available if we want it bad enough because we will come up with some
miracle technology to make it so just because we always have and
because Americans have a God given right to guzzle oil forever by gum.
  There is no credible challenge of the facts as they currently stand.
  Only the optimism that if we drag our butts, don't develop
alternatives and thus really need the oil that it will be there in
plenty and at affordable cost.  I don't understand why anyone would
take such an empty argument seriously.

I agree about the need for a lot more nukes.  But I think it is
dangerously short sighted to pretend there is no such thing as Peak
Oil.

- samantha