[extropy-chat] TransColloquium Meeting: Dealing with New Pope's Campaign

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 25 18:04:47 UTC 2005

--- Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> Extropy Institute is calling for a meeting at the TransColloquium for
> Transhumanist organizations to discuss strategies for dealing with
> the
> potential for conflicts that might arise from the Pope's declaration
> concerning the moral relativism and the "cultural wars". This is a
> global
> issue for transhumanity.

I won't be there, but an idea for consideration: perhaps treat the
Pope's call like a call to make morality more like science.
Specifically, science is about explaining objective measurements; if a
theory disagrees with the evidence, then the theory is wrong.  However,
scientists also know that while there probably are objective truths,
they can at best only ever get better and better approximations to
them; we can not know for sure that we know the absolute and final last
word.

Thus, yes, there may be objective moral truths.  The Pope just happens
not to be following them.  (For instance, the idea that any one human
being, even the Pope, is always infallibly correct has long since been
disproven.)