[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 03:42:03 UTC 2005

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:
>  (4/25/05 14:55) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >I have, for example, in the past, shown Patri Friedman documents
> issued
> >by the World Wildlife Federation showing that the UN is planning on
> >giving NGOs like WWF, the Nature Conservancy, Greenpeace, etc actual
> >sovereignty over wildlife areas, starting with seamounts in
> >international waters outside any nations' EEZ and moving on from
> there.
> >This starting point is interesting because it directly threatens
> >Patri's Seastead Project and the potential of high seas independent
> >living for libertarians.
> >

> I find this to be uncompelling and smacking of wingnuttitude, since
> the Nature Conservancy is a private organization, not a UN NGO like
> the WHO.

Except you don't understand what is an NGO. WHO is not an NGO, it is an
agency of the UN. International organizations like The Nature
Conservancy, World Wildlife Federation, Greenpeace, that engage in
either charitable or political lobbying, are NGOs. The National Rifle
Association, for example, is a registered NGO at the UN. UN agencies
can't be NGOs because they are UN Agencies.

The Nature Conservancy, for instance, is headquartered on Palmyra
Island, in the pacific, which the Conservancy ownes in its entirety,
and thus is not subject to any state regulations or taxes. It is the
sole policing authority onthe island, and the US government provides it
national defense as a territorial dependency.

I also find it curiously indicative of an individual in denial to deny
the validity of the documents of these organize

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com