[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 13:31:03 UTC 2005

--- Matus <matus at matus1976.com> wrote:

> I say again, has any resource, ever, reached a peak and then declined
> in
> supply while demand continued?  Absent, of course, government
> regulation.  A lot of things *can* happen *in principle*.  I still
> haven't seen one example?  Did we run out of steel?  Did we run out
> of tungsten?  Did we run out of coal?  Have we run out of wood?
> Uranium? Anything?  Ever?

Specifically, large beams used in post and beam construction in the
medeival and renaissance periods gave way in Europe, as old growth
forests either disappeared or became dedicated solely to construction
of naval vessels, to construction with smaller beams and the start of
the Georgian style, with many small pieces of wood forming complex
trussworks, into the Baroque period and beyond.

> > > This discussion ignores the fact that one can manufacture
> gasoline
> out
> > > of a few dollars of electricity right from the carbon dioxide in
> the
> > > air
> > > and hydrogen in the water.
> >
> > Hahahaha.  Show me how that is economical.
> >

> I showed you that it is obvious that it *will* be.
>
> It sure is a funny thing when extropians start suggesting that
> nothing
> new will come out of 6 billion human minds.
>
> Matus

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com