[extropy-chat] Deep-earth methane generation

Curtis Sandoval curtis.sandoval at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:46:40 UTC 2005

The problem I had with the biotic theory is the math. When it was
described to me, it was made to sound like animals and plants had to
die in a certain way in a certain area and be covered immediately to
avoid decaying.  With such special conditions, it would seem rare, and
how many kilos of biomass must be compressed/heated to produce a kilo
of oil?  It just seemed like not enough life forms have ever died on
the planet to produce a sustained output of millions of barrels of oil
per year.  Of course, the adults were "right" and I shelved the
question under "things that don't seem right but that I can't prove
without getting grounded."