[extropy-chat] [COSMO-ASTRO] Weighing the Universe

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 29 09:26:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:53:31PM -0700, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> On the contrary, I expect that something like M theory describes the
> physics of all possible universes. This is quite obviously the only way
> to accomplish true universe simulation on the fly.

Empirically, all you see within a simulation, is the simulation. The meta
level is unknown and unknowable (unless there are constraints to the kinds of
running it, which shine through).

Apart from that it could be trained ants or tortoises all the way down, or
billiard balls and bits of string -- we can't know.