[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 29 11:48:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:40:41PM -0700, spike wrote:

> Has there been sufficient consideration of the great potential
> to cut oil consumption?  An unspoken blessing of the US

If the fuel price goes up, so does good transportation, which will bring some
transport companies out of business and result in higher prices of basic
goods for end customers. This will reduce consumption.

> appetite for gas guzzling SUVs is that we have the potential
> to cut way back in short order just by driving the less-used
> second car.

I would start with insulating your house and use a passive solar system for
water and heating.

> What do you make of this article from the Chicago Trib?
>
> spike
>

> Ethanol prices in free fall even as cost of gas goes up

Ethanol via destillation from fermented biomass is completely insane. It's
good for niche applications for developing countries, who don't have access
to modern processes and can afford to waste a lot of acreage and energy to
generate fuel with a terrible efficiency. Ditto biodiesel from rapeseed.

You have to use a process which uses the entire biomass to do it right. This
will be still a no go for countries with dense population, and good
environmental protection.

Methanol/ethanol in vehicular fuel cells, synthesized from synthesis gas from
Methane/Coal/Oil/Biomass is an excellent idea.

Methane fuel cells in domestic application for joint electricity/heat
generation is an excellent idea, and a large step towards hydrogen economy.