[extropy-chat] In defense of moral relativism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 07:31:43 UTC 2005

Not *always* of course. If a Champion Of The Truth is locked in jail,
he is not able to kill others. I am also willing to concede that there
are people who are convinced that they know The Truth, but choose to
be tolerant and respectful of others who do not. I don't have any
problem with them.
But my point is that conviction of knowledge of Truth *can* lead to
mass murder and *does* lead to mass murder (countless examples from
History here). So since the notion of moral Truth does not make much
practical difference for many people (for example, I am not interested
in it but try making good moral choices anyway), and can have very
dangerous consequences in the hands of others, I try to saty away from
it.
G.