[extropy-chat] good space shuttle article

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 15:54:55 UTC 2005

Actually, I wouldn't mind riding a real bomb propulsion system. Orion
needs doing. Five moderate sized nukes could put an aircraft carrier
worth of cargo and spaceship into orbit. I think the trade off is worth
it.

Space elevators are a penultimate system to develop, but we've got to
build lots of rockets between now and then to get the mass into orbit
we need to build the tools to build the tools to build the space
elevator. Besides that, we don't even have buckycable yet. Baby steps.

--- Henrique Moraes Machado <hemm at openlink.com.br> wrote:

> Why not start thinking *seriously* about space elevators? I don't
> think anyone can feel confortable with the idea of being pushed to
> space by a huge bomb on his back.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com