[extropy-chat] intelligent design homework

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 02:11:48 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>Not really.  "Evolutionary advantage" has to be useful in some manner.
>(Granted, there can be and are all manner of odd uses, but they are
>uses; this excludes some paths of development.)  "God's will" is a
>looser requirement (it does not get across the concept of "can" versus
>"can't": absolutely anything can be justified as "God's will",
>including things that are provably useless - which then extends to
>non-evolutionary things, for instance "kill the heathens" can be
>justified as "God's will" when, if viewed without a supernatural lens,
>it would be clear that it's just murder which is going to make a bunch
>of people angry).

Obviously this is an inappropriate place for a complete discussion of
the important issues you raise, but briefly:

1)  "useful" is always purpose relative and consequently important only
in terms of the context being discussed.  One says "the jackal's toes
are useful for digging...and this gives them a competetive advantage
over other animals that might have taken its ecological niche
and/or...." where the counterfactuals of what might have been and what
makes the jackal better suited than the infinitely many other
possibilities takes the place of the metaphysics of God.  The other says
"God wanted the jackal to be able to dig" - the difference is one of
metaphysics, not biology.
2)  What is a valid interpretation of God's will is as loose a
requirement as "evolutionarily beneficial".  Obviously, whatever is
current is better than what may have been 'evolutionarily' since what
could have been but isn't obviously didn't survive whereas what is
current did.  At the same time, one could say, that whatever God's will
is is obviously current (actual).  Both are vaccuous and unfriendly
interpretations of the other.  But what's good for the goose is good for
the gander.  Unless one has a substantive theory of God's will and a
substantive theory of evolution (e.g. something more than "whatever is
fit survives, what has survived has survived because it is fit), both
sound vacuous.  Obviously both theology and evolution have a lot of work
to do in both regards.  It's worth thinking about it, of the infinite
possibilities for jackal toes (even given its ancestry), on has to
wonder how exactly that configuration of toes was the one that brought
it today rather than the, again infinite, other possibilities which
could have been more efficient for any given purpose (again,
context-relative purposes, of course).  I think you can see this is a
bigger job than is commonly undertaken by actual biologists or
histo-biologists.
3)  The justification of "it's god's will to kill the heathens" has a
long history and is directly contradicted in Christianity ("love your
enemy and bless those that curse you") and Buddhism.  So any substantive
theory of God's will that says that God wants people to kill the
heathens must obviously rule out Christianity and Buddhism at least.

Best wishes,

Robbie Lindauer