[extropy-chat] Future friendly movies

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 13:49:12 UTC 2005

I concur. Such movies should also, besides portraying science and
transhumanism positively, show the true dark underbelly of luddism. One
movie I think actually did this quite well was "AI", which portrayed
the AI boy sympathetically and humanity and its fears of AI negatively.

I have long thought that the Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle novel "Fallen
Angels" would make a good transhumanist movie. Neal Stephenson's
"Cryptonomicon" would do well also.

scientists<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/04/movies/04flyb.html?ex=1280808000&en=b35c2085878bcf51&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>.

article<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/04/movies/04flyb.html?ex=1280808000&en=b35c2085878bcf51&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>the
> idea is using movies to make science sexy again so that American kids
> chose technical careers and replenish a pool of US experts on
> technologies
> for national security. Professional scientists and science
> communicators are
> asked to contribute to film making as they are the ones who can
> develop
> realistic future scenarios: "to reconcile the cinematic suspension of
>
> disbelief with the scientific method and with their basic purpose of
> bringing accuracy to the screen".Teaching screenwriting to scientists
> was
> the brainstorm of Martin Gundersen, a professor of electrical
> engineering at
> the University of Southern California and sometime Hollywood
> technical
> adviser. Recently, he was asked to review screenplays by the Sloan
> Foundation, which awards prizes for scientific accuracy, and found
> most to
> be "pretty dismal," as he put it."My thought was, since scientists
> have to
> write so much, for technical journals and papers, why not consider
> them as a
> creative source?" Dr. Gundersen said.
> I believe the same concepts can be used to promote a friendlier
> attitude
> toward radical, "transhumanist" scientific advances and their
> deployment in
> society through technological (and legal) developments. We need
> movies set
> in believable and "accurate" future scenarios and with a positive or
> at
> least non-threatening view of future technologies such as radical
> life
> extension, Mind Machine Interfaces (MMI), and eventually mind
> uploading.
> I think Matrix was a horrible movie as it had a very dark atmosphere
> and
> made viewers actually scared of the future. There are many excellent
> science
> fiction novels that could be turned to good pro-science,
> "transhumanist"
> movies. I am sure we can help the movie industry with ideas and
> scenarios.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com