[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Aug 6 22:23:35 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Sure it's hypocrisy. All foreign policy everywhere is based on
>>hypocrisy except...where? Monaco?  I'm glad you discuss American
>>hypocrisy because I live in a red state and the attitude here is "up
>>yours, pinko". Yet I also want to be informed more about what other
>>nations besides the US and British are doing, for instance we are
>>told very little about murderous French hypocrisy in N. Africa. Are
>>African lives worth less than Iraqi lives? are the French kinder
>>gentler executioners? do they let captured insurgents drink a bottle
>>of wine before they are shot?
>>
>>Dirka al Bruere spaketh:
>>

>>>Unless, of course, the US installs a dictatorship just as vicious as
>>>

>>>Saddam's.
>>>Which would not surprise me give the usual US hypocrisy when it
>>>

>comes
>

>>>to 'democracy and human rights'.
>>>

>Better yet: did the French go into Africa with a UN mandate? With any
>allies? Nyet, non. Why doesn't the "international community" think less
>of them for it? Where is the outrage, Dirka al Bruere? Where is the
>outrage at the hypocrisy of those who condemn the US and its allies
>enforcing UN resolutions, but stand silent over the internationally
>'illegal' French actions in Africa? Where is the outrage, mister
>principle?

Are you referring to the colonial period in comparison to the US empire
building in Iraq?
Or the recent Ivory Coast intervention?
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/feb2003/ivor-f12.shtml

"France has received international backing for its intervention in its
former colony, Ivory Coast (Côte d’Ivoire) where a civil war has been
raging for five months. The United Nations Security Council passed a
resolution that “welcomes the deployment of Ecowas (Economic Community
of West African States) forces and French troops” and endorses the peace
agreement signed by both the government and rebels in the current civil
war."

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-