[extropy-chat] Transparency vs. terrorism

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 14:47:50 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:

> On 8/6/05, *Dan Clemmensen* <dgc at cox.net <mailto:dgc at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     As a society we in the US have shown a distressing tendency to give up
>     freedoms to counter terrorists.As long as we are going in this
>     direction
>     anyway, why not go a bit further. If we give up the (non-existent)
>     right
>     to privacy in public, we can make it much harder on terrorists.
>

> More or less what will happen anyway, with the government's blessing
> or not. Think of the digitization of virtually all information that's
> underway with Google, and the continual growth of the blogosphere.
> There was this woman in South Korea, her dog made a bit of a mess on a
> train, and she refused to clean it. Thanks to camera phones, her
> picture was placed on the Internet, and she was recognized in the street.
>
> Your LOLs won't be little old ladies, they might be the guy in the
> subway fiddling with his cell phone, or later, someone recording what
> they see through their glasses or contact lenses. This will be more or
> less fair, as everyone will be watching everyone else. Everyone is the
> watchers, and the watchers watch everyone.

Exactly. Since it's inevitable, I'm proposing that the government
finance a quick kick-start to this phenomenon as a cheap and effective
response to terrorism. The bottom-up approach will not lead to effective
coverage in the short term, and there is not enough mobile bandwidth
already deployed, so fixed cameras are currently more cost-effective.