[extropy-chat] UFO on satellite photo.

Gina Miller nanogirl at halcyon.com
Mon Aug 8 08:32:29 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
  From: The Avantguardian
  To: ExI chat list
  Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] UFO on satellite photo.

  --- Gina Miller <nanogirl at halcyon.com> wrote:

  > I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to curb a
  > moment of boredom. I did this for fun, perhaps to
  > get you all to smile (thought Spike would like this
  > humor!), and mainly to see if I could reproduce the
  > image, not to speculate one way or another. And, as
  > you have already established, I would never, ever
  > upload to a site where I do not have authorization
  > to do so. Just an incorrigible artist here, but
  > that's all!  :  )

  No worries, Gina. You did get a smile out of me and I
  KNOW you wouldn't do any unauthorized uploading,
  except maybe to save the world or something. ;)

  Now I'm smiling.... that's very kind.

  > Honestly this thing could be anything, I'm not up on
  > my satellite engineering, lenses or software - but I
  > could easily imagine that if it wasn't something
  > legit in the air, it could be any number of these
  > things interacting with or leaving an artifact on
  > the photo.
  > Here are two super close ups for you:
  > Original:
  > http://www.nanogirl.com/images/satellitetheirs.jpg
  > Mine:
  > http://www.nanogirl.com/images/satellitemine.jpg
  > You can see the original is more blue and you can
  > tell in my pixels that the image has been blurred.

       Thanks, Gina. Your analysis was actually very
  good and thorough. At the very least you established
  that it was not an obvious hoax. It may be one of the
  artifacts you suggested. If it actually was something
  in the air, it would seem to be very reflective as the
  blue tint you speak of could very well be a reflection
  of the sky from high altitude (i.e. the gradient of
  the blue of the sky to the black of space).

  Right, that's a good point.

  Although weather balloons are made of mylar which is rather
  reflective we have already established that weather
  balloons are typically a mere 2 feet in diameter.
       Furthermore the blurriness, if caused by motion,
  would suggest that it was moving fairly quickly
  relative to the plane or satelite, since I imagine a
  fairly high shutter speed would be necessary to keep
  ground images from being too blurred from orbital or
  even airplane speeds. The blur also seems to be along
  the northwest-southeast axis, which would be odd for a
  high altitude weather balloon in the region of Palm
  Beach, FL. Since that is below 30 degrees latitude,
  the prevailing trade winds would be the North Easterly
  Trades which blow from the NE to the SW. Curious.
  Maybe it is just a drop of water on the camera lens.
  Then again it could be a scout ship sent by Elohim.
  Somebody wake up Rael. :)

  The Avantguardian
  is
  Stuart LaForge
  alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

  "The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
  -Bill Watterson