[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 12:22:50 UTC 2005

>From: Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com>
>To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?
>Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:21:30 -0700
>
>On Aug 8, 2005, at 2:25 AM, Brian Lee wrote:
>
>>I find it comical that you harangue the red staters for being  stupid and
>>then express your own stupidity by calling them "country- bumpkin citizens
>>of dumbf*ckistan".
>>
>>There's a name for those who can't understand the viewpoints of  others:
>>fundamentalists.
>
>Sorry, but no.  That is not the meaning of "fundamentalist".

Yes, it is actually. In this case, the source providing the Truth is
himself. He does not consider the opinions of others when making decisions.
Throw up your definition of fundamentalist, maybe I'm just getting
disconnected

>>You're acting like a fundamentalist in your belief that you are  correct
>>and tons of others are wrong. It goes both ways. I think  calling 51% of
>>the US idiots is no way to further your cause.
>
>Over 70% of Americans believe in literal miracles and think evolution  is
>bunk.  Clearly more than 51% of Americans are in fact idiots.

No, this doesn't mean they are idiots. It just means they have an incorrect
view on miracles/evolution. I once worked with a content director who was in
the habit of saying stuff like "Who was the fucking idiot who misspelled
'the' on the main page". An error does not create an idiot (especially when
made by a CS graduate from Yale who was pretty smart).

BAL